1) What agencies may help Hopkins to remain a safe working place? [ protection-inspections] Monterey County Health Department Local Fire Department Stanford EH&S EPA OSHA All of the above
2) Who are the two emergency coordinators? [
home page] Judy Thompson Any Professor Chris Patton Judy and Chris Judy, Chris and any Professor
3) Which of these have happened at Hopkins? [
emergencies-emergency response] Personal Injuries Fires, spills & gas leaks Earthquakes All of the above
Is it all right for me to put up shelves in my office/lab? [
hazards-construction] yes with my professors approval just forget it, not possible see Judy first
5) The Life Safety Box does not indicate any hazards for the room I want to work in. Does this mean there are no hazards in the room? [
protection-life safety boxes] I am not a fire fighter, so I don't care what the Life Safety Box says it’s not safe in any room the Life Safety Box says it’s safe, so no hazards caution is always advised
6) Even offices may contain hazardous materials, What hazards does alcohol have? [
, <-click this link, enter alcohol in the 'search for' box and keep clicking 'start with' until you come to ALCOHOL, REAGENT] HAZ flammable flammable and slight poison oh I never knew it was so bad, I will never use alcohol again! flammable, poison, suspect cancer, irritant, liver and kidney toxin
7) Extension cords are necessary for temporary work, but is it safe for me to leave one up for several days if I tie it to a shelf to insure it is not a trip hazard?
[ hazards-electrical] yes only if approved by my professor only if the circuit has a GFI no
8) What are the most likely hazards from earthquakes in
Pacific Grove? [ hazards-earthquakes] the building is going to fall on me! nothing much ever happens here. chemicals combining, if not stored properly. chemicals combining plus gas cylinder rupturing chemicals, gas cylinders, and a heavy object falling on my head chemicals, gas cylinders, heavy object on head and fire
9) Who knows when it is safe to go back into a building after an evacuation? [ emergencies-evacuation] Only the fire department can give the all clear The fire department and/or Judy or Chris Only my Professor knows our lab/office well enough
10) Can I hurt myself even when lifting small objects or doing repetitive tasks? [
hazards-lifting] only if over fifty or really out of shape maybe, if I do it fast enough and long enough no way
11) Ground fault interrupters are on all the outlets in the Aquaria and the newly renovated restrooms therefore it is safe to use any extension cord in these areas. [
hazards-electrical] That’s what GFIs are for Only with approval from my professor Only if the extension cord is in good condition, not immersed in water, and not a trip hazard
12) When I see someone wearing a
single glove between buildings, this tells me [ protection-gloves] that they care about me and don't like exposing me to hazardous materials that they are cheap and trying to save lab funds that they are a Michael Jackson fan
13) When do I have to get this worksheet done by? [
top of this page] when I feel like it only if Judy or Chris find out only when my professor tells me I have to before work begins only if I need a key never, if I am only doing office work
14) Who is ultimately responsible for my safety at Hopkins? [
safety home page] tiered responsibilities beginning with ME my professor Judy and Chris EH&S from main campus
15) Since I am only going to work in an office there are very few hazards I need to worry about.
[ hazards-office] (Check all that apply) clutter open drawers proper fit to my computer extention cords with space heaters chemicals in the next room
16) I am only sitting at a computer all day. How much trouble could I get into?
[ hazards-ergonomics] (Check all that apply) monitor at the wrong height mouse too far away chair at wrong height in relation to keyboard & feet trying to meet a deadline and not taking breaks every 30 minutes glare from window on monitor screen
17) I understand the changes that I will have to make in my own behavior working near an
? ASBS Yes No (can also see Chris for more information)
18) Enter the "secret" code from the
Hazard Sign Game
19) Stanford has had to tighten up on internet security because:
[protection info tech] hackers are constantly trying to get in our devices for mischief/harm criminals steal identities and financial information foreign governments are after our research data there can be a huge cost for liability and lost time
Comments: What did you have trouble with (give question #s please)?
It is recommended that you fill out this PDF form about personal emergency contact information and give it to Judy so she has someone to call in case something happens to you. Thanks.